- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
To become a private detective serving as a bounty hunter in Rhode Island, you must complete a number of steps:
|Meet Rhode Island Qualifications|
|Complete Rhode Island Education and Experience Requirements|
|Get Your Rhode Island License|
|Keep up on Rhode Island License Requirements|
According to the Rhode Island General Laws, only licensed, private detectives are permitted to work as bounty hunters in Rhode Island. These laws also state that anyone presenting him or herself as a private detective or detective police officer can be fined up to $500 and be sentenced up to 6 months in prison.
Step 1. Meet Minimum Qualifications in Rhode Island
To be eligible to become a bounty hunter in Rhode Island, you must:
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Have no felony convictions
- Have never had a license or registration as a private detective revoked or had your application for a license or registration denied
- Have never been declared incompetent by a court due to a mental disease or illness unless your competency has been restored
- Not suffer from an alcohol or narcotics addiction or dependence
Step 2. Meet Rhode Island Education and/or Experience Requirements for Licensure
To become a bounty hunter in Rhode Island, you must meet one or more of the following requirements:
- You must have at least 5 years’ experience as an investigator or as a police officer with a police department or investigative agency; OR
- You must possess a degree in criminal justice from an accredited college or university; OR
- You must be employed by a private detective as an investigator for at least 5 years; OR
- You must have equivalent training and/or experience
Step 3. Apply for Rhode Island Licensure as a Private Detective
Provided you meet all minimum requirements for licensure, you must apply for licensure with the local licensing authority where your principal place of business is located. Applications for licensure as a private detective are available through the clerk’s office your business’ town. Regardless of the local licensing authority where you are applying for licensure, the application fee is $150.
You must also provide your local licensing authority with your bond with a surety company that is authorized to do business in the State of Rhode Island.
Step 4. Keep up on Rhode Island License Requirements
Bounty hunters in Rhode Island may find a wealth of information and networking opportunities through the Licensed Private Detectives Association of Rhode Island.
All licenses for private detectives in Rhode Island are renewed annually. Similar to applying for a private detective license, you must renew your license through the local licensing authority where your principal place of business is located. The cost of renewal is $150.
You must provide a renewal form to your local licensing authority no less than 30 days before the expiration of your license.